Thursday, April 10, 2014

52 Week Challenge - #14 ABBOTT family




ABBOTT FAMILY


















 These photos are of the William Robert Abbott family.
William Robert Abbott was born 19 February 1866 in Ann Arundel County, Maryland and
was the son of William Martin and  Frances Virginia 
(Wilkison) Abbott.  He married Ariel Elizabeth Parlett on 19 June 1888.
 Ariel Elizabeth was daughter of David Oliver & Mary Louise (Knight) Parlett. William Robert & Ariel Elizabeth were both from affluent families of Annapolis, Maryland.  More on their families in another week.

William Robert & Ariel Elizabeth were my great grandparents on my maternal side.  My grandmother Ariel Bayne Abbott was the eldest daughter in this family.  On the top photo she is all the was on the right side standing.  I believe that photo was taken about 1917.  The bottom photo was most likely taken not long before William Robert died at the Government Printing Office in Washington, D.C. .  He was working nights when he died.  There are several stories about his death but since I am not certain of any of them they will not be repeated. My grandmother, Ariel Bayne (Abbott) Farley is standing on the left side in the back  in the bottom photo.  The parents were living in Lanham, MD at the time the bottom photo was taken. William Robert Abbott died 10 January 1925 in Washington, D.C. and is buried along with Ariel Elizabeth Abbott in Ft. Lincoln Cemetery, Brentwood, Maryland.  Ariel Elizabeth Abbott died 9 December 1958. 




This bottom photo of William Robert Abbott was a real find.  When I sent for his government records I was contacted that they had a photo of him in the file and would I like that also.  So very happy to have come across this photo.  It also is signed by him on the bottom so I have his written signature.
 This is a photo of the young Ariel Elizabeth (Parlett) Abbott.  I'm not really sure of her age when this photo was taken.  I am very lucky to have come across these.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Cheryl,

    This is an old post so I'm not sure that you are still interested in info.

    My husband is the grandson of Virginia Abbott Sheehy. Your grandmother, Ariel, and my husband's Grandmother, Virginia, were sisters.

    Virginia married J.J. Sheehy, JR in Washington DC. They had 4 children , one of which was my husbands father. Virginia died in Washington DC in 1946 from lung cancer. Her husband J.J. Sheehy died in 1969 in Las Vegas, NV.

    William Robert's father< William Martin Abbott was a founder of the Evening Capital, a newspaper in Annapolis. His daughter, Edna, took over the responsibilities of the paper after her fathers death.

    I have been trying to find out more info on William Robert Abbott.
    I think they had 12 children.

    Please respond to my e-mail if you wish.
    Thanks for this info.

    ReplyDelete