Sunday, January 28, 2018

#52 Ancestors Week 4 Invite to Dinner

I've really been thinking about this one and there are really two people I would love to invite for dinner and ask many questions.  I will just go with one person in this posting.

My great-grandfather Frederick William (Friedrich Wilhelm) Kosack.  I know he was born in November 1843 in what we thought was Germany.  I know his mother, 2 sisters and 3 brothers came to the United States in January 1859 on the ship Johannes arriving in Baltimore, MD.

I believe that this photo of my great grandfather Frederick was taken around his wedding time.

He joined the Union Army along with 2 of his brothers in 1861 in Carroll County, MD Company K, 2nd Regiment, Maryland to serve a term of three years.  His older brothers both had serious injuries - Otto had his left leg amputated on the battlefield in Fredericksburg, Virginia  13 December 1862.  His eldest brother Edward had a gunshot wound to the left hip at the battle in Petersburg, Virginia.  Frederick ended up with Heart problems and was discharged in February 1863. 

I have not been able to determine who their father really was, where they really came from - Edward stated that he was from Zierke, Groshurocthum, Possen, Prussia but I just don't know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment